Saturday, July 31, 2010

Lucy Maud

Douwe and I were wandering around my mom's house looking to see if she was home an afternoon last week. I happened upon a bookshelf full of children's books that I had read when I was young, and borrowed Emily of New Moon. A few days ago I was back over for the other two novels which follow Emily's adventures. L.M. Montgomery is most famous for being the creator of Anne Shirley of Green Gables fame, and as much as I love Anne, I might love Emily even more. I could not put down any of the three books this week, and now I need to re-read them more slowly to think more about just why I love this author so much. Briefly here's a start to my thoughts: I admire her ability to get into the character of a child and help us see from a child's clear eye how outrageous and silly it is when adults use scorn, fear-based religion, and control tactics to try keeping kids in line. I read some biographical information on this author this past week and I am intrigued at how much she may be retelling her own life story through the characters and adventures of orphaned Anne and Emily. It amazes me how much this woman is able to be subversive in her reverse gifting: the self-confidence, maturity, enthusiasm, and self-awareness belongs to children more than to adults in her novels. But she is still a "romantic" author, so the twists and turns to plot, and happy resolutions of various conflicts reveal a humorous and empathetic author who believes that everyone will eventually get love figured out. I'm so glad I had Anne and Emily, and ultimately, L.M. Montgomery around during my own pre-teen days!
And her descriptions of Prince Edward Island? I just have to visit this place yet. I am going to Canada tomorrow, but alas it is much further west than P.E.I . . Manitoba!

No comments: