Saturday, April 11, 2009

SSSS


We introduced Douwe to his first Bible story book in the last couple months. His favorite picture is of the snake in the Garden of Eden, so the first thing he says when we take out the book is Sssss! What are we supposed to do, make him less fascinated with the snake?

So far we are just showing pictures and saying one or two things about the story on each page, but I am looking forward to using this for its stories as he gets older. I was looking for something that pointed each story to Jesus rather than a moral or behavior. The illustrations were very important too, I wanted no eerily-lit pictures of other-worldly humans staring at the sky. Steve had gotten a book like that and he would ask why all the people were looking up at the sky with a dazed look. This one has beautiful colors yet with homely, regular-looking people.

It's called the Jesus Storybook Bible, and I'm thrilled that something like this exists.

1 comment:

Sonny Huisman said...

As a Director of Children's Ministries, I've seen all the Children's Bible's out there. This is THE BEST ONE! I LOVE how all the stories point to Jesus!

We've been through this Bible 4 times at our house and it never gets old!

I love, too, how it includes things that most Children's Bible's don't, like the prophesies of Isaiah etc. Awesome.