Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 40: Blood Not Required

As I look at the cross today, and as I see the blood flowing from his head and side, hands and feet, I am hearing this message:

Jess, I do not require blood. My blood is all that has been required and it is sufficient.

When you long to turn on others and make them pay for their wrongs, ask instead for my blood which gives you the power to say, "Father, forgive them, and help me also to give up my wishes for them to receive vengeance."

When you long to turn on yourself and make your own blood come as a relief from guilt or a proof that life is inside, look instead at my blood which has the power to comfort,,cleanse, revive and heal you.

When the world seems too bloodthirsty for you to bear, drink my blood at the table of communion and believe the promise that the blood of Jesus quenches(already and not yet)all thirst for blood.

And when your Accuser tells you your blood will one day be required, listen instead to this command: "In view of God's mercy, present your body as a LIVING sacrifice, holy and acceptable to the Lord."

No comments: