Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Asparagus


So last August for my birthday my husband bought me the book Home Grown Indiana, which calls itself the must-have guide to the foremost local food sources in the state.

After reading Animal Vegetable Miracle a few years ago and being inspired to pay more attention to when particular crops are in season, I knew that someday I would have a binge on asparagus in late May. I don't have my own asparagus patch, but my Home Grown Indiana book had an entry for Kohlagen Asparagus Farm, which is very close to the new somewhat local attraction called Fair Oaks Farm.

Last Saturday, Douwe and I, along with Grandpa Groen hopped in the car to drive the 40 miles to visit the farm. It was an adventure. I got to walk out to the field and see the asparagus "patch" pick a few stalks and learn a few fascinating tidbits like on hot days, the stalks grow so fast they do two pickings a day.

I bought a 20 pound bag. (Handed out most of it to some friends and neighbors.)

These asparagus were nothing like you buy in the store, except for looks. No woody stringy parts that you have to cook for 30 minutes to make it edible.

The best way to eat these are: Drizzle with olive oil and throw on the grill (perpendicular to the grate) for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with some kosher or sea salt. No need for cheese sauce or anything, the vegetables stand alone just fine.

I ate them that way on Saturday and Sunday. On Monday I put them in a Asian Chicken Noodle Salad with Peanut Sauce.

And on Wednesday I made a double batch of Cream of Asparagus soup. Mmmm. It looks a bit strange in its soft green hues, but delicious!

(Someone told me in the past few weeks I can't remember who, that eating asparagus makes you sting when you urinate. I didn't notice that, but there is definitely a noticeable smell of grass to the urine for a few days.)

2 comments:

Nichole.McVeigh said...

My mother grows asparagus and it is just lovely. She showed it to me last year during our visit. She made an amazing quiche with it - and, no - freshly picked asparagus is nothing like what I find in the supermarket. Good for you...

KBush said...

If you like it a little sweeter, mix just a little sesame oil in with the olive oil. You can also roast them in the oven at about 400 for 7 minutes, mix, and then another 7 minutes for those of us who don't have a grill. :) It's also good with a little fresh cilantro and some sesame seeds you put on at the very end.