Sunday, November 18, 2007

Proud Grandparents

Douwe was baptized today in a Christian church, and so is beginning his story of belonging to the people that call Jesus their God, Savior, Lord. His grandparents are pictured here holding him after the service of the sacrament.




Eight years ago when I tried to transfer my church membership to a Presbyterian congregation, I had the unfortunate experience of being told by my two church elders: "Since you were raised in this church we can be sure of your salvation, but if you leave, your children will not be raised here and get the Truth."

Of course that was a bully threat to manipulate me, and make me afraid to leave, but it makes a woman think twice about having children if they are put in hell before their birth by ignorant church men.

And so now we navigate a tricky path to pass on a special heritage of belonging, family, gospel and grace to Douwe, while knowing that mixed in with that heritage is still some rotten stuff of threats and exclusion and gang mentality.

Newborn Douwe, you don't have to "get the Truth" before you are included. Presenting you for baptism today means you belong unconditionally, you are loved by a most inclusive Redeemer, and that the Truth, Jesus Christ, has already "got" you.

2 comments:

MLE said...

Wonderful comments! I'm so glad I got to be part of that day with you and be one more person who can help bring that little one into the knowledge of the Truth.

elisabethvc said...

This is beautiful, Jess. The Truth is so much wider and deeper than we can begin to imagine...that is the True Hope of baptism. I look forward to talking with you now.